Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten Sign-Ups for 2010-2011 School Year The School District of Indian River County’s Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten (VPK) Program is pleased to announce plans for sign-ups for the 2010-2011 school year.
The Voluntary Pre- Kindergarten program is a 540 hour instructional program that provides up to a full school day and a full school year of quality education and care at no cost to parents. To be eligible for this program, a child must be 4 years old on or before September 1, 2010, and the family must reside within an eligible home school zone. The 2010-2011 School District of Indian River County’s Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten School Year Program will be offered at: Dodgertown Elementary, Fellsmere Elementary, Pelican Island Elementary, Sebastian Elementary, and Thompson Lifelong Learning Center.
- Families in the Fellsmere Elementary home school zone are eligible to participate in the lottery for the slots at Fellsmere Elementary.
- Families in the Pelican Island Elementary, Sebastian Elementary and Treasure Coast Elementary home school zones are now eligible for the lottery for the slots at either Pelican Island Elementary or Sebastian Elementary.
- Families in the Dodgertown Elementary home school zone are eligible to participate in the lottery for the slots available at their Dodgertown and may elect to be included in the lottery for the slots available at Thompson Lifelong Learning Center.
- Families in the Beachland Elementary, Citrus Elementary, Highlands Elementary, Glendale Elementary and Vero Beach Elementary home school zones are now eligible to participate in the lottery for the slots available at Thompson Lifelong Learning Center. To find out your home school zone, please call the Office of Student Assignment at 564- 3145. The slots available will be filled through a lottery process, if there are more families interested in the slots than there are slots available. During the times listed below, interested families need to provide contact information and documentation of their child’s eligibility to the Pre-K Office. Documentation that is required for participation in the lottery selection process is: The School Board of Indian River County, Florida Karen Disney-Brombach District 1 Matthew McCain District 2 Carol Johnson District 3 Claudia Jiménez District 4 Debbie MacKay District 5
- Proof of the child’s age (ex: original birth certificate)
- Proof of the family’s residency (ex: a bill for a service that you receive in your name at your current address) Documentation that is requested but not required for participation in the lottery selection process is:
- Child’s Social Security card (if available at the time)
- Certificate of Eligibility from the Early Learning Coalition (only if parent has already obtained this document) The Pre-K Office Portable is located in the east parking lot of the Freshman Learning Center located at 1507 – 19th Street in Vero Beach. Dates and times for sign-ups are:
- Thursday, June 3, 2010 from 1:00 P.M. until 5:00 P.M.
- Friday, June 4, 2010 from 8:00 A.M. until Noon
- Tuesday, June 8, 2010 from 2:00 P.M. until 6:00 P.M.
- Wednesday, June 9, 2010 from 8:00 A.M – Noon
- A special sign-up date has been scheduled for those families interested in the School District of Indian River County’s Voluntary Pre-K program located at Fellsmere Elementary. Interested Fellsmere families should bring the same documentation listed above and come to the office at Fellsmere Elementary on Monday, June 7th, 2010 anytime between the hours of 2:30 P.M. and 4:30 P.M. or Fellsmere families can choose to come to the Pre-K Office Portable located in the east parking lot of the Freshman Learning Center during the scheduled times on June 3rd, 4th, 8th and 9th, 2010.
Contact information and complete eligibility documentation must be received at the Pre-K Office no later than Noon on June 9, 2010, to be included in the selection process. A computer generated, random selection process will be applied to the contact information and all families will be notified in writing of the outcome for their child, either Acceptance or Wait Listed. Letters will be mailed out the week of June 21, 2010. Notification letters for parents of accepted children will include specific directions for completing the registration and enrollment process with the Pre-K Office.
If a child is not selected to participate in the School District of Indian River County’s School Year Voluntary Pre-K program, notification letters will include information for families to access their child’s Voluntary Pre-K services from either another eligible Voluntary Pre- Kindergarten provider during the school year or from the school district during the summer prior to their entry into Kindergarten. Additional information regarding a complete listing of eligible Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten providers for Indian River County for the 2010-2011 school year can be obtained from the Early Learning Coalition of Indian River, Martin and Okeechobee Counties at 1-877-220-1223 extension 260.
Please contact Kim McCorrison, School Readiness Coordinator, in the Pre-K Office at 564- 4169 with any questions or for additional information.